Re: [Denemo-devel] The lilypond build system adopted to build Denemo for

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The lilypond build system adopted to build Denemo for various OS
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 17:00:37 +0100

On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 13:19 +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> On zo, 2009-07-12 at 10:08 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> > My attempt to build denemo using GUB got to this point when my outgoing
> > email broke down. I'd like to pursue this (especially if Nils' system is
> > too modern for GUB to cope with).
> > Are you able to suggest the next move (the files you asked for were
> > attached to the email that was delayed)?
>
> No, nothing much there [did you look at those files?].  It seems that
> most interesting stuff may be in
>
>    build/gettext-0.15/gettext-runtime/config* and
>    build/gettext-0.15/gettext-runtime/libasprintf/config*
>
> I'm sorry and embarrassed that GUB does not build ootb on your
> system... but this is getting a bit debugging through a keyhole.
> It would help a lot if you could investigate those files
> (I mean, this is plain autotools and build stuff, you can do that?),
I'm unfamiliar with the stuff above the makefile level (it came in after
my time & though I have dug around occasionally, I never can remember
what it is all about - that is why I built my windows version of Denemo
straight from invocations of gcc, not even make). Jeremiah looks after
the build system on Denemo, but I know he has his hands full with new
arrivals.
> I'd start with looking at
>
>    target/tools/build/gettext-0.15/libtool
>    target/tools/build/gettext-0.15/gettext-runtime/libasprint/Makefile
>
> if
>
> target/tools/build/gettext-0.15/gettext-runtime/libasprint/lib-asprintf.lo
yes
> target/tools/build/gettext-0.15/gettext-runtime/libasprint/lib-asprintf.o
yes
> target/tools/build/gettext-0.15/gettext-runtime/libasprint/libasprintf.la
yes

> target/tools/build/gettext-0.15/gettext-runtime/libasprint/.libs/libasprintf.a
yes

> etc exist -- and what happens if you do things like
:~/gub/target/tools/build/gettext-0.15/gettext-runtime/libasprintf$  ls .libs
autosprintf.o  libasprintf.la   lib-asprintf.o  libasprintf.so.0
libasprintf.a  libasprintf.lai  libasprintf.so

where libasprintf.so is a link to libasprintf.so.0.0.0 which does not
exist. I try
 make .libs/libasprintf.so.0.0.0
make: *** No rule to make target `.libs/libasprintf.so.0.0.0'.  Stop.

>    cd target/tools/build/gettext-0.15/gettext-runtime/libasprint;
that is target/tools/build/gettext-0.15/gettext-runtime/libasprintf/

>    make libasprintf.la
make: `libasprintf.la' is up to date.

> Here's a tar-up of my src/ and build/ gettext:
>
>   http://lilypond.org/blog/janneke/software/denemo/gettext-build.tar.gz
I see that you have .libs/libasprintf.so.0.0.0 so I tried diffing the
Makefile that should generate it, allowing for the difference in the
location of gub the diff shows only this:

< build_triplet = x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
< host_triplet = x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
---
> build_triplet = i686-pc-linux-gnu
> host_triplet = i686-pc-linux-gnu
148c148
< AWK = gawk
---
> AWK = mawk
203c203
< SHELL = /bin/bash
---
> SHELL = /bin/sh
220c220
< build = x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
---
> build = i686-pc-linux-gnu
222c222
< build_cpu = x86_64
---
> build_cpu = i686
224c224
< build_vendor = unknown
---
> build_vendor = pc
230c230
< host = x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
---
> host = i686-pc-linux-gnu
232c232
< host_cpu = x86_64
---
> host_cpu = i686
234c234
< host_vendor = unknown
---
> host_vendor = pc

Sorry for being so clueless with all this. Nils is trying on a 32-bit
machine, so perhaps he will get there.