Re: [Denemo-devel] Music Games

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Music Games
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 06:54:26 -0500

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:11:25 +0200
Valentin Villenave <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2009/7/21 Jeremiah Benham <address@hidden>:
> > Are they using:
> > Do Re Me Fa So La Ti Do?
> >
> > I inherited a student that came from a French school in America. He
> > used "movable Do" and his older sister used "fixed Do". Is this what
> > they actually do in France or is this an Americanization?
>
> Greetings,
>
> If I may, that would be "do ré mi fa sol la si do". (and the Do is
> sometimes alternatively named "Ut", just 'cause we like to make things
> simple :-)
>
> As a French music teacher (and former student) I have never ever heard
> of a "movable do"; perhaps that would refer to a specific
> transposition-based learning method?

Thanks for chiming in. "movable do" must be an American term. It means
that you treat the tonic of the scale you are in as do. The notes of G
major would be assigned:
g = do
a = ré
b = mi
c = fa
d = sol
e = la
f# = si
g = do

In this system "do ré mi fa sol la si do" apply to scale function in a
tonally based system. It does not work with atonal music and it gets
highly confusing when it comes to singing a piece that involves
modulation. In Aural training I was first taught this "moveable do"
system. Then later we switched to "Fixed do" (where c=do). After all of
this our teacher taught us what he called the "fixed note name system".
This is very similar to lilypond note names. It looked like this:

c = c
c# = cis
db = des
c## = cisis
dbb = deses
etc....

"ais" was pronounced "Ace" and "aes" was pronounced "Ice"

This made learning Lilypond much easier for me.

Thanks,
Jeremiah