Re: [Denemo-devel] Comments and windows

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Comments and windows
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 17:24:39 +0100

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 20:06 +0200, Nils wrote:
> I saw the comments are now avaible, which is really good.
>
> However, I really think new windows and popups are not a good idea.
> Of course I say that because I'm involved personally.
>
> I use a tiling window-manager, wmii, and those resize the Windows at will.
> Any program that works with multiple windows, worst case is GIMP, or floating
> windows (Denemo's popup warnings) are really annoying.
>
> Even for standard window managers multiple windows per app are not that good.
> Many users use Virtual Desktops and if they want to move Denemo from one to
> another you have to move all child-windows manually.
>
> But besides my personal view I think frames are a much better idea than extra
> windows. You can resize them, tab them and hide them. Even a key is thinkable
> that toggles "Hide anything except Notation and Menubar".
>
> I can understand that is might be interesting to use some parts/windows
> fullscreen or on a second monitor. But making frames dockable, like Denemo's
> toolbar/palletes, should not be that big issue in GTK.
>
> Is there any reason for multiple child-windows and popup-windows as standard?

By "as standard" I guess you are wondering why I have started with
creating a popup. It's just what I knew how to do; what I didn't know
how to do was create comments - I am still working on it. I haven't got
them on individual notes yet, and I haven't got a way of updating other
aspects of the comment (e.g. how it affects LilyPond output) when the
comment is changed. But I have got an idea for that now.
If I worried about everything I would do nothing - we *do* need a nice
interface, a nice editor, and things like the Score->properties->font
size moving into a directive...

Richard