Re: [Denemo-devel] Re: Bug #29825 - What is the right variant to use?

From: Nils Gey
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Re: Bug #29825 - What is the right variant to use?
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 12:58:06 +0200

On Sun, 09 May 2010 08:59:03 +0100

> About the Paste Script:
> This paste command is not quite the one I would want: in the single
> staff case it does not always paste multiple measures into contiguous
> empty measures. This is precisely the normal circumstance when
> transcribing: you fill in one part and the other parts acquire empty
> measures to suit. Then you may want to paste into those measures, but
> this paste script only pastes into the first empty measure, then it
> starts inserting measures. I guess that is so irregular as to constitute
> a bug.

I agree that its irregular that the first measure is pasted in the existing one
and the rest are not.
But that is the only irregularity I see. Paste should check and do

(if singlestaff
        (if clipboard contains measurebreak anywhere
                (no new measure)
                (new measure)
        )
)

Otherwise its exactly what paste normally should do: Insert the clipboard
between the last and before the next item.
On the other hand its not complete, and this is where you are right. Normal
texteditor behaviour is that if you paste and there is a selection existent the
selection gets replaced with the clipboard content. This is the additional
functionality that is needed for your empty measure example (is it possible to
select empty measures yet? and is there a graphical feedback?)

Luckily its no problem to trigger that behaviour with an altered
SingleAndSelectionSwitcher. (I need to write a "delete the selection" for that
first.. this is just a reminder for myself)

Nils

P.S. with any new command that allows the user to quickly replace, alter or
delete big parts of the score UNDO becomes more needed. I personally don't care
how its done, it could be quite dumb and slow for starters, maybe even working
on a file-basis, saving and deleting snapshots of the complete score/movement
insert the gzipped .denemo.