Re: [Denemo-devel] Ubuntu PPA & Debian Packaging

From: Till Hartmann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Ubuntu PPA & Debian Packaging
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 16:30:43 +0200

On 01.06.2010 12:45, Pietro Battiston wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 01/06/2010 alle 00.14 +0200, Till Hartmann ha scritto:

>>> - formally, there is no debian maintainer - the last packages were
>>> uploaded as "quality assurance" uploads, which is what happens with
>>> orphaned packages
>>>
>>> - more pragmatically, I'm the one behind those last uploads
>>>
>>> - even more pragmatically, Josue Abarca is the one who already packaged
>>> the last denemo version and is currently trying to get it into Debian,
>>> and also to become its (official) maintainer.
>>>

>>> I guess he's the right person to answer more in depth to your questions,
>>> but since I did use several times some PPAs, I just add that the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> git clone git://git.debian.org/collab-maint/denemo.git
>>> git-buildpackage -S -sa
>>>
>>> should produce something almost ready for a PPA, though you will
>>> probably want to add a changelog entry in order to target the right
>>> Ubuntu release (and obviously give a clean "git-buildpackage" to verify
>>> it builds fine).
>>>

>>> One more step would be to patch the default settings in order to use
>>> pulseaudio (present by default in Ubuntu but not in Debian).
>>>
>>> The Right Thing (TM) may then be, if that's fine for Josue, that you
>>> register on Alioth and create a separate branch for (the few,
>>> presumably) Ubuntu-specific patches.
>>>
>>> Pietro

>> Thanks for both your answers.
>>
>> I actually already sent libsmf to launchpad which built it for me
>> (libsmf is already available via my ppa [at
>> https://launchpad.net/~tillux/+archive/t-audio]). However, denemo makes
>> some problems; the funny part is: building denemo *locally* on my
>> machine did succeed, after I had removed the "autopoint" (debian
>> specific?)
>
> for the moment, yes, I guess
>
>> dependency from the control file, the launchpad build will
>> fail with though. See
>> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/49465059/buildlog_ubuntu-lucid-i386.denemo_0.8.16-3_FAILEDTOBUILD.txt.gz
>> for the complete buildlog.
>>

> How about just adding "cvs" to build-depends?
>
> In general: the best and easiest (in my experience) system to locally
> check missing dependencies (by building a package like it gets built in
> repositories) is cowbuilder:
> http://wiki.debian.org/cowbuilder
>
> Pietro

Thanks again, I think I was too tired yesterday to see that.
So, there's a probably working (has not been tested yet) version of
denemo available for download at
https://launchpad.net/~tillux/+archive/t-audio .
I still have got some question, though:
- Is libsmf only a build-time-dependency?
- Even though cowbuilder is in the ubuntu repos, cowbuilder --create
will fail, because there is no package "autopoint" in the ubuntu
repositories (the program itself might be available in another package,
though).
- Could somebody please test the build?
- What makes more sense: create a different ppa for a git version (e.g.
"denemo-nightlies" or provide a package "denemo-git"?

Till