Re: [Denemo-devel] A small note on whats crippling Denemos playback

From: Nils Gey
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] A small note on whats crippling Denemos playback
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 01:55:25 +0100

Helping hands from #lad relayed the following message to this mailing list:

(23:45) ( larsl) (midi-)Sequencing really needs to be done in a separate thread.
 But if it isn't designed for thread-safety to begin with it would probably be
lots of work to graft   it on now.

(00:19) ( torbenh3) what it was ? i just told you its all wrong, and needs
redesign.
if you recall, i changed the whole render engine .. getting that midi thing
right, is more complicated.

(23:37) ( petern_) hmm, odd
all midi events are sent at frame 0. so that's not going to help to start with.

it needs to be related to the event time.  imagine a period size of 2048
therefore it could only send a lump of events every 46ms (@44100Hz)
on top of that the gui has to be idle. it only plays midi events when gtk is
idle
so if there's lots going on on screen, it won't be very idle
in fact it always plays events after they should've happened
it waits for the event's timestamp to pass, then it writes it to a buffer
the process callback picks it up from that buffer in the next cycle and plonks
it at frame 0
unfortunately, although i can see what it's doing quite easily, it's not so
easy to fix :(