[Denemo-devel] Drawing performance impacting playback

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Drawing performance impacting playback
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:57:48 +0000

Nils,

>From what you have said, and the tracing I did a while back, it seems
that the poor playback performance is due to time spent in calls to the
drawing libraries (gtk, gdk, cairo...) rather than feeding fluidsynth
with data.

I thought if you are asking around it might be useful for you to have an
outline of the way Denemo is drawing. There are three calls made:

 gdk_cairo_create(pixmap)
     ... then  all the drawing operations (everything that is on screen is
drawn, even though only one small thing has changed)

 gdk_draw_rectangle (pixmap .... to paint the background onto the pixmap

 gdk_draw_pixmap (window, style, pixmap,

I don't know whether this is something crazy - pixmaps are not in GTK3 I notice.