Re: [Denemo-devel] Tab staff

From: Nils Gey
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Tab staff
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 00:00:06 +0100

We have the stafflines, we have the lilypond.

What we don't have is the entirely different system of pitches where each staff
line stands for a basic pitch and the number/notehead for an chromatic offset.
I can't imagine this in Scheme right now. Even if there are ways to do it I am
sceptic. Breve and Longa did a hell of problems and they still are doing and
all because they are in Scheme.

Another problem is that tabstaffs normaly don't have durations. The optimal
tab-staff is always the bundled one with a normal notation staff. So we have
the problem here that changes in the notation staff should affect the tabstaff
but changes in the tabstaff do not require changes in the notation staffs (for
example different fret-number).

It is no wonder that there are dedicated programs like TuxGuitar, which is
pretty good by the way. But TuxGuitar has its problems, too. Mainly on the
notation side. I think its worth to offer more tabs in Denemo, but I would not
under-estimate the work.

Nils