Re: [Denemo-devel] Tab staff

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Tab staff
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:15:43 +0000

On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 15:59 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> How hard would it be to create a tab staff in denemo. Basically this
> would be a staff that contains 4,6,7, 8 or more lines depending on
> desired number of strings. Instead of note heads and stems it would
> contain numbers. These numbers each have a duration similar to the
> existing notes. This tab staff would force the tab creation of
> lilypond. I think then denemo could eventually support the "guitar
> pro" format similar to tux guitar.

It would be possible to write new versions of the drawing routines
starting at draw_staff(). I.e. draw_staff() would check if the staff was
to be drawn as a tab and then call new drawing functions. I believe the
drawing routines could just be using the same (normal notation) data
that we have and certain things (such as beaming and stems - I am
assuming they are put along the top just above the staff with the stems
descending into the staff lines?) could be modelled on what is done for
normal notation.
So, in brief, it would involve writing the chain of drawing routines
from draw_staff down.
HTH
Richard