Re: [Denemo-devel] denemo.org somewhat disabled

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] denemo.org somewhat disabled
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 22:57:25 -0600

I upgraded the website and gained admin control. I then reconfigured the email settings and added an rss feed to the forums.

Jeremiah

On 02/20/2012 08:36 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
Thanks for the response -
On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 08:53 -0500, Glen Peterson wrote:
For the mailing list, why not use Google Groups?
I think this comes into the case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Funnily enough, it (the mailing list thingy) *is* slightly broke at the
moment, I think - I don't get my own emails to the mailing list :) But I
am no sufficiently concerned to find out where to raise that bug.
  I've used that for
several other collaborations.  It's free and easy to use and keeps
history.  Also it does a nice job preventing spam and "out-of-office"
replies and is really easy to use.  I think it also digitally signs
(DKIM) messages to aid delivery (so mails are not marked as spam).  It
has good sign-up/leave tools as well and various permissions for how
public messages are and for hiding email addresses from the public:

http://groups.google.com/

I don't know the history of this project, but I don't see Sourceforge
in your list of options
what list??? We used to be on sourceforge (actually we still are, but
the page just re-directs to Savannah).
for hosting.  For any open source project,
they host free source control, a wiki, a bug tracking system, forums,
and a download section.  I've used it to collaborate on other projects
and it worked great.

http://sourceforge.net/create/

I'll gladly set up either one if people are interested.
I guess the reason Nils rolled his own website was that the facilities
offered by Savannah are too old-fashioned looking? Well, I am the last
person that can offer an opinion on all this stuff, but at least the
current website technology seems to avoid spamming which the old one
didn't.

But if Nils is not around to get you started, Jeremiah, then something
more basic would be better than something that promised interactivity
which it then didn't deliver.