Re: [Denemo-devel] Disabled Forums

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Disabled Forums
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 08:40:10 -0500

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 3:24 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 00:57:55 -0500
Jeremiah Benham <address@hidden> wrote:

> ok. Thanks! Do you think that we really need a forum? Do users really
> need a forum?
Forums make it easier to give & get feedback, but until the user-base
grows they are costly to maintain. Nils switched to this CMS because
the other one was getting spammed, and I suspect this one would need
constant upgrades and other maintenance to keep them at bay.

> Maybe the server will not crash as much now. If we
> really need that kind of stuff I would probably look for a different
> CMS.
Yes - it would need a CMS which continuously upgraded itself to armor
itself against the latest attack methods - so whoever created it would
need to be an ongoing organization committed to maintaining it.

Could we pass the responsibility to somewhere else. Perhaps we could use google groups instead? Maybe there's someway that this would integrate well into google+ also.

What this episode made me realize is that there is quite a bit of stuff
of value (IMHO!) on the site, the stuff explaining what Denemo can do
and especially the comparison pages; this information is not AFAIK
available elsewhere on the net. It made me think about back-up - is the
site backed up at all? If not, would wget be able to get me a copy of
the site as pages (IIUC the "pages" on the site don't actually exist
until requested, just a database of information ...)?

wget would not work because its all in a database. I could backup the database somehow. I have never done that before nor am I sure how to do that. So...no! There is no backup yet.