Re: [Denemo-devel] blind again- "Non-printing staff" option gone(?)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] blind again- "Non-printing staff" option gone(?)
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 09:39:15 +0100

On Sat, 2013-10-05 at 03:57 -0400, Bric wrote:
> On 10/03/2013 02:00 PM, Richard Shann wrote:
> > On Thu, 2013-10-03 at 13:10 -0400, Bric wrote:
> >> I just looked in my old 0.9.3, and was relieved to know I'm not
> >> completely insane — there DOES exist
> > DID exist
> > This is one of those rare case where a command has actually be dropped.
> > (In fact, it may be unique). I mentioned this in an earlier email IIRC,
> > you use the score layout view to drop staffs (or voices, or
> > movements ...) from the typesetting.
> >

> Hi, Richard
>
> You're talking about top menu -> View -> Score Layout -> "The Staffs"
> section -> [ bunch of buttons ]  ??

The score layout view is undocumented, and not as friendly as I had
intended. All the buttons there represent bits of the structure of your
score any bit of which you can delete with the "x" buttons. (It becomes
a custom layout when you do this). What you are doing with the "x"
buttons is deleting it from this score layout which you can then
typeset.

> I don't see anything there that explicitly says "non-printing".
yes, it's not that sort of a thing, the "x" deletes it from what will be
typeset.
>  If it's
> implied, or you have to do it with a lilypond code bit, it seems a step
> back from the GUI convenience we had before before (menu point & click)

yes, that hide staff command would be good to resurrect, I'm sure it
could be scripted once more (the old script stopped working because of
other developments in the interface to LilyPond which made it not
possible).

> Also, FWIW (might be linux gtk- (gtk2!)- specific) :  there's a quirk
> bug in my build where dismissing/cancelling a sub-dialogue of this
> "Score Layout" causes it to lose focus, recede behind the main window...
> (obviously not high priority... unless it's pervasive for other situations)

that is probably intentional, though off-hand I can't say why (it
usually means you should have both windows visible at the same time for
intended mode of working).
I have it in mind to have a second go at this Score Layout thing - it is
too schematic to make it obvious just looking at it that it represents
the layout of the score. In particular things like titles and so on
should appear as buttons arranged in the positions that LilyPond places
the titles, and things like staffs should be distributed so that you
could drag them apart to insert more space between staffs etc.