Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo is too hard to install

From: Martin Larsson
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo is too hard to install
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 15:47:21 +0100

On 10 Jan 2014, at 10:06, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 09:23 +0100, Martin Larsson wrote:
I discovered Denemo a couple of weeks ago and immediately,
what is the url of the thing you are trying to use?

More specifically, I’ve been following the links from there to http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=7801 and downloaded the tar.gz file of denemo 1.1.

I got very excited to try it out. However, after sitting in front of the computer for several hours trying to install it, fetching dependency packages, installing homebrew this, uninstalling MacPorts this, trying to resolve error messages, and so on, I had to give up.

I’m not an expert in computer architecture and computer programming, but I’ve taken a couple of courses in computer science. That is, I know my way around my computer fairly well, but still, I wasn’t able to install Denemo.

If you want some kind of adoption of your program, you really have to make it more accessible. I’m still curious to try it out, but as long as I’m going to have to quit my day job to get it working, I don’t see it happening anytime soon.

Someone recently said on this list that the link to MacOS on denemo.org
now gave them a working Denemo on a Mac which is, I guess (because you
mentioned MacPorts) what you have.

http://denemo.org/downloads/denemo-1.1.0-0.darwin-x86.tar.bz2

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, when firing up the included Denemo.app, it just bounces a couple of times in my dock and then closes itself.