Re: [Denemo-devel] lily 2.16, 2.18 zombies on darwin when ran via glib g

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] lily 2.16, 2.18 zombies on darwin when ran via glib g_spawn
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 10:14:23 +0100

Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 05:34 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Jeremiah Benham <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > I am having an issue running lilypond via glib when cross compiled for
>> > darwin.
>> >
>> > This is when cross compiled for darwin using the same gub snapshot:
>> > Version/Status
>> > 2.14.2 works fine
>> > 2.16.2 created pdf and .ps but goes into a zombie state on exit
>> > 2.18.0 does not create anyting and immediately goes zombie
>>
>> Are you using "zombie state" in the official meaning here (a process
>> that has terminated without its parent waiting for it, listed in a "ps
>> a" listing as Z)?  Or just as a colloquial description?
>>
>> > Now all of the above versions are executable. I inserted a printf of
>> > the lilypond arguments before g_spawn.... was launched. Then I copied
>> > and executed it at the command line. Each time it was a success on all
>> > three tested versions. Why is it not working via g_spawn...? I have
>> > cross compiled all the above for mingw and have never had this
>> > problem. I am begining to diff through versions 2.14 and 2.18. Does
>> > anyone have any idea as to what is causing this?
>>
>> At some point of time, the terminal output was not routed through
>> whatever Guile considered to be its current-error-output but rather
>> through file descriptor 2.  If you have a blocking pipe or similar on
>> that
>
> is "that" here file descriptor 2 or current-error-output ?

File descriptor 2.  Issue 2759 in the LilyPond issue tracker, committed
to version 2.16.1 as
commit dbec1f388833bc7dfc8fc91d730018782062bdcc
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Tue Sep 11 17:47:40 2012 +0200

    Issue 2759: Don't use /dev/stderr which is only defined on some systems

    Instead, the port associated with file descriptor 2 is being used
    which should be equivalent.

and to version 2.17.3 as
commit f8a6295ef663dc5ee874b15ceb0763cf7f22e65b
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Tue Sep 11 17:47:40 2012 +0200

    Issue 2759: Don't use /dev/stderr which is only defined on some systems

    Instead, the port associated with file descriptor 2 is being used
    which should be equivalent.

> The "Guile" you mention here is guile invoked by LilyPond I assume.

libguile, to be precise.

> Denemo asks GLib to capture the stdout and stderr of the spawned
> process ...

I don't know what GLib does.  And it's pretty much all idle speculation
without getting a clarification about what Jeremiah calls "zombie" here.

--
David Kastrup