Re: [Denemo-devel] problems with 1.1.2

From: Bric
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] problems with 1.1.2
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 11:42:27 -0500

On 02/12/2014 07:52 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
On Wed, 2014-02-12 at 06:20 -0500, Bric wrote:
I figured I should move this out to a new thread. (WAS:  "duration,
rhythm, metronome, etc., for MIDI-input?")

I compiled denemo version 1.1.2, seemingly OK.  After updating my glib
(downloaded glib 2.39.4 source, compiled and installed it)

But then there were issues big and small(er):

(1) Denemo is segfault-ing when edit preferences, although, on first
run, I think it was NOT segfault-ing.  I was able to uncheck "Highlight
the cursor", click OK, and it didn't segfault at that point.
at which point does it segfault?

When I invoke the Edit -> Preferences dialog and click "OK". It happens when I don't change anything and click "OK". It also happens when I change something and click "OK". In the latter case, the change I make is effected (apparently, just before segfault-ing) and is seen in the next session.

   (BTW:
Hallelujah! end of forced scroll animation!  BIG BIG help.
well, it sounds like you haven't fixed the drawing problem on your
machine - how does it get on running gimp for instance?

I don't think I made myself understood. I am jumping for joy over NOT HAVING the animation, finally. I am happy! no need to change anything in this respect, now :-). It's NOT animating anymore — neither the cursor, nor the scroller. Thank you for that accommodation!

(I omitted the words "This is a..." in "This is a BIG BIG help")

  Thanks)

(2) Contrary to what I was told in previous threads about copying my
.denemo-xxx/actions/actions/Default.commands and
.denemo-xxx/actions/Default.shortcuts :   copying just
"Default.shortcuts" is not enough to preserve all the laboriously
developed shortcuts.  One must apparently copy the Default.commands file
as well.  In a previous thread Richard or someone else warns against
copying over "Default.commands", saying that would mess up the command
set.  But if I don't copy it over I lose my shortcuts!
You should not need to do this any more. When you started the new
version (provided you had not externally created a directory
called .denemo-1.1.2 before launching the new Denemo) you get a dialog
offering to keep your settings.

I'll tinker with that some more. I'm sort of confused; let me experiment and report back.

What you can do in your circumstance is to copy Default.commands from
the new distribution and Default.shortcuts from your
old .denemo-xxx/actions directory. That should make all the commands
available while keeping your shortcuts.

(3) Typeset music failing to render a file that is rendered fine by my
old (current) denemo 1.0.9
This is usually caused by old LilyPond syntax that Denemo used to add
for default beaming that 1.0.9 added to files by default. Execute the
Score->Typesetter->Use Normal Beam Endings command to fix this. (If you
haven't got Default.commands from the distribution, you will need to get
that first as that menu is changed since 1.0.9 I suspect).

Hmm... I do have the "Use Normal Beam Endings" command in the menu, I click on it, it SEEMS to help (the error watermark seems to go away), i edit the score, see my edits rendered in the typeset window, I save the file, close denemo, re-open denemo and — Oops! — the typeset error message is back. I've done this cycle, like, four times. Same result.

(4) More of a warning than issue, really:  Denemo xml files tend not be
backwards-compatible.  So, when I opened in 1.1.2 a pre-existing
*.denemo file generated/saved in 1.0.9, and FOOLISHLY re-saved it in
1.1.2, I couldn't open it in 1.0.9 anymore.  Fortunately, apparently,
all I had to do was change the line

<score xmlns="http://denemo.org/xmlns/Denemo"; version="7">

<score xmlns="http://denemo.org/xmlns/Denemo"; version="6">

and that appears to have fixed the problem, this particular time.
That would not work in general, but may give you something useful.
Software generally isn't written to open yet-to-be-invented file
formats, for obvious reasons, so 1.0.9 will not read the newer 1.1.2
format.

Like I said, this is more of a warning (to me and to others, I guess)... I realize denemo is hardly at fault here... except maybe there could be a courtesy, fool-proof pop-up warning alerting that "If you are to save the current, older-version file", you won't be able to open it in the older versions of denemo. "

I simply lost focus and forgot about this phenomenon. (An alert would have reminded me)