Re: [Denemo-devel] Dynamics Staffs

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Dynamics Staffs
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 17:24:08 +0000

On Thu, 2015-11-05 at 12:31 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> You could avoid that bad
> display and get other benefits by using a separate staff for
> dynamics ... do you know about that stuff?
>
> ### I had seen it. Just hadn't tried it. Presumably there is some sort
> of
> hierarchy about what displays if there are also markings ion
> individual
> staffs.

The separate dynamics staff thing is a LilyPond feature - it typesets
the dynamics you put there ignoring the notes. This means you can start
and stop markings independently of the notes by using (dummy)notes on
the dynamics staff with smaller durations, attaching the dynamics to
them. But it would have the side effect that you could get hairpins
cresc and dim ending and beginning at the same note to display properly
by splitting up the dummy note into two of half the duration...

One of the main reasons to use Dynamics staffs is to force alignment of
hairpins where it sometimes looks odd without.