Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo and Turkish, makam.ly

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo and Turkish, makam.ly
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 12:43:21 +0100

On Sat, 2016-07-23 at 18:11 -0400, Jim Garrett wrote:
> On 07/22/2016 05:12 PM, Richard Shann wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2016-07-22 at 16:13 -0400, Jim Garrett wrote:
> > > Hello Denemo community,
> > >
> > > I've recently learned how to use makam.ly to typeset Turkish music
> > > with Lilypond.  I'm happy writing Lilypond files directly, but I know
> > > others who would be would be much more inclined to use a GUI.  Is it
> > > currently possible to use Denemo to typeset Turkish music, and if so,
> > > what would be entailed?
> > Well, Denemo may well be one of the most customizable programs out
> > there, but whether it will help you typeset Turkish music would depend
> > on how much commonality there is with Western music.
> > The basic thing to grasp is that while it is trivial to make Denemo emit
> > the correct LilyPond syntax that isn't really the point; the crucial
> > question is whether Denemo can display what you have input in a way that
> > is helpful. Again you can alter what Denemo draws for any object that
> > you enter (any note, chord, marking ...) but the further the conventions
> > differ the harder it would get (think of making a word processor work
> > with Chinese characters from bottom right to top left...).
> >
> > This example
> > http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/source/Documentation/snippets/world-music
> >

> > \include "makam.ly"
> >
> > \relative c' {
> >   \set Staff.keySignature = #`((6 . ,(- KOMA)) (3 . ,BAKIYE))
> >   c4 cc db fk
> >   gbm4 gfc gfb efk
> >   fk4 db cc c
> > }
> >
> > would indicate that you might want to override the appearance of the key
> > signature and the accidentals. The first already done in other contexts
> > the second could be done treating them as custom ornaments.
> > It would also be possible to change the MIDI output so that they sounded
> > the microtones, there is a field for re-writing what should be output,
> > that would require a good understanding of the MIDI spec - there is an
> > example of historical tunings in the Open->Open Example menu which would
> > be relevant for that.
> >
> > I'll be happy to guide you through this...
> >
> > Richard
> >

> Thanks so much. for your generous offer to help.  I'll plug away at it
> and bug you from time to time.  I don't have a lot of bandwidth and
> will have to take it slowly.
>
> In principle Turkish music should be just like Western music...except
> that instead of having one note in between whole steps, there are
> more.

So that looks very doable. Things to consider:
are there such things as key signature changes in the course of a piece?
If a further note is entered, are accidentals "carried over"?

>   makam.ly provides suffixes to indicate the degree of sharpness or
> flatness, and these are linked to specific sharp or flat symbols.  How
> hard this would be with Denemo I have no idea.

That will be quite easy, many commands insert suffixes to notes and show
some marking in the display to indicate what has been inserted. But
unless you are quite technical you will need help - if you are techie
then reading the scripts for commands that add suffixes to notes will
help. (You right click on a command and choose "Get Script into Scheme
Window" to read how its done).

Richard
PS. Don't forget to do "Reply to All" or "Group Reply" or similar, so
that the mailing list is included in your reply, otherwise no-one else
will benefit from the pearls of wisdom dispensed :)