Re: [Denemo-devel] Beaming

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Beaming
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 09:12:40 +0000

On Wed, 2017-01-18 at 22:44 +0000, Robin Henderson wrote:
> Thank you Richard for your reply. I've done a reply all as requested.
> I've attached my broken version for your perusal.

Thank you for this - I have uncovered two bugs as a result!
What I did was to open the Score Properties Editor and I saw there the
first Denemo Directive was "Typeset Barlines Literally"

This is an advanced sort of command for people who are typesetting
unusual music where they want complete control over the positioning of
barlines (they don't want them to be "correct"). The first bug is that
the help for this command is too terse, it doesn't warn you that once
you have done this you can't expect the typesetter to guess how you want
things beamed - you may have barlines anywhere.
The second "bug" - a wish actually - is that it would be good if, having
found some Denemo Directive like that you could go straight to the
Command Center to find out more about that command - e.g. where it is in
the menu system. As it is, I had to type the label "Typeset Barlines
Literally"  into the Command Center search to find it. Having found it,
I could then turn it off and all was well with the beaming.

> I'm gradually getting to grips with Denemo and have now finished of my
> first opus (probably too grand a title, considering), complete with beams!

I can see one wrinkle - you have a bunch of rests at the beginning -
probably you wanted an upbeat (pickup, anacrusis) but (I suspect)
because you created a click track before creating the upbeat bar you
found it tricky (?). You can delete the rests (and edit the clicks in
the click track) so that you have the correct duration for the partial
bar at the start and then use the shortcut "u" for the Upbeat command to
make the bar an upbeat.
(Thinking about it, this upbeat is likely the reason you stumbled on
"Typeset Barlines Literally", but the command you needed was in the
measures menu. Try searching for "upbeat" or "pickup" or "anacrusis" in
the Command Center)

> Next step is to get a midi keyboard and am considering a AKM320 (sounds
> like a semi-automatic weapon) any thoughts/recommendations?

That looks like it should do the entering of pitches just fine - I see
the bad reviews are mostly about trying to do more than just entering
pitches, e.g. actually playing it as a musical instrument etc, and the
usual unfortunate souls who get a dud one.
My M-Audio 49 was a fair bit more $$$ and I have noticed that it emits
occasional bursts of slight pitch bend commands (Denemo will ignore
these unless you ask it to respond in some way to them). That's after a
few years use. Also my foot pedal stopped working - haven't looked into
it, as it turned out to be a blessing in disguise - the uses that I put
it to I could do better by other means.