Re: [dev-serveez] Guile on w32

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] Guile on w32
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:53:20 +0100

> From: stefan <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 14:25:37 +0100 (CET)
>
> On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Martin Grabmueller wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > as promised, a few links to the guile-devel message archives:
> >
> > http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/guile-devel/2000-November/000590.html
> > http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/guile-devel/2000-November/000608.html
> > http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/guile-devel/2000-November/000619.html
> >
> > (the first and second are from s.o. doing a native port, the third
> > includes a pointer to cygwin binaries).
>
> Cygwin is actually *not* what we are aiming at. I gave the libguile a qick
> hack myself which resulted in a libguile.dll in quite a litte time ! I
> guess it will not be a real problem.

Fine.  Yesterday, I had a little hack at serveez.c and cfgfile.c (and
Makefile.am) to initialize Guile and use it for loading a config file,
and setting variables works.  Guile does not have the ability to bind
Scheme variables to C variables, but I think that would not be much of
a problem for Serveez, because we can simply copy C variables to
Scheme variables, evaluate the config file and then copy back the
(maybe new) variable contents.

So, do we want to go down that route?  What remains to be done would
be:

1. Adapt raimi's config magic to Guile (copying in/out of values).
2. Define a new syntax for instantiating servers.
3. Implement the instantiating procedures in C.
4. If supporting older versions of Guile, we'll need to wrap the
   main() function, because Guile expects that.  (I've been using a
   current CVS Guile)

Comments, ideas, problems?

'mgrabmue

P.S. Stefan, which version of Guile have you been hacking?

--
Martin Grabmueller              address@hidden
http://www.pintus.de/mgrabmue/  address@hidden on EFnet