Re: [dev-serveez] Guile on w32

From: Raimi 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] Guile on w32
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:54:38 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Martin Grabmueller wrote:

> > From: stefan <address@hidden>
> > Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 14:25:37 +0100 (CET)
> >
> > On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Martin Grabmueller wrote:

> Fine.  Yesterday, I had a little hack at serveez.c and cfgfile.c (and
> Makefile.am) to initialize Guile and use it for loading a config file,
> and setting variables works.  Guile does not have the ability to bind
> Scheme variables to C variables, but I think that would not be much of
> a problem for Serveez, because we can simply copy C variables to
> Scheme variables, evaluate the config file and then copy back the
> (maybe new) variable contents.

We actually dont want/need that variable-setting anymore. It's still in
serveez because ela didnt allow me to delete it yet.
We just want to evaluate a scheme file and provide a C function or two to
define servers. Ok, perhaps we need another 2 or 3 primitives to adjust
global settings of serveez...

> So, do we want to go down that route?  What remains to be done would
> be:
>
> 1. Adapt raimi's config magic to Guile (copying in/out of values).
> 2. Define a new syntax for instantiating servers.
> 3. Implement the instantiating procedures in C.
> 4. If supporting older versions of Guile, we'll need to wrap the
>    main() function, because Guile expects that.  (I've been using a
>    current CVS Guile)

I'll reorder that.

2. Define a new syntax for instantiating servers.
3. Implement the instantiating procedures in C.
   (this requires more changes. 'bind_server' becomes 'add_server'.
   That's quite some work.
1. Adapt raimi's config magic to Guile (copying in/out of values).

> 4. If supporting older versions of Guile, we'll need to wrap the
>    main() function, because Guile expects that.  (I've been using a
>    current CVS Guile)

I dont think we'll support old versions of guile. depends if we need
features of new guile versions. dont know yet.

btw, we weren't lazy yesterday either: we implemented a fake ident server
and found/fixed some bugs in the core functionality.
if you want to do us something good, read the documentation...

bye,
        Raimi

.... who still didnt copy his .signature to this machine ...