Re: [dev-serveez] Patch for using Guile

From: stefan
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] Patch for using Guile
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 00:28:47 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Martin Grabmueller wrote:

> I recently read that it probably does not run on Crays anymore, but I
> think that is okay for us.  At least with --disable-posix, it should
> run fine everywhere, though there is no compatibility-list or anything
> like that.

I think we can live with that.

> > To the "switch" steps:
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > 1. Define a new syntax for instantiating servers.
> >
> > What syntax do we want ? I would like to have something *very* similiar to
> > the old syntax with Sizzle. As I noticed that is not possible because
> > Guile does not have a hash syntax. So what syntax do we actually use ? I
> > would like you to paste here something appropriate: What will replace
> > that:

> > ;; Definition of a fake ident server.
> > (define fakeident-server1 '#{
> >                              "port" => #{
> >                                          "proto"  => "tcp"
> >                                          "port"   => 113
> >                                          "ipaddr" => "*"
> >                                         }
> >                              "systemtype" => "UNIX"
> >                              "username"   => "supa-raimi"
> > })
>
> My pseudo-patch implements the following:
>
> (define-server! "fakeident" "fakeident-server1"
>   '((port . ((proto  . "tcp")
>            (port   . 113)
>            (ipaddr . "*")))
>     (systemtype . "UNIX")
>     (username   . "supa-raimi")))

> > And what will replace this:

> > (if have-win32
> >     (println "* This is the Win32 port, good luck."))
> > (set! serveez-pass "secret")
> > (primitive-load "otherfile.cfg")
>
> This is the same.
>
>  (if have-win32
>      (println "* This is the Win32 port, good luck."))
>  (set! serveez-pass "secret")
>  (primitive-load "otherfile.cfg")

This is something i could live with, either. It is not as nice as before
but acceptable. What do you think, Raimi ?

> > Can this achieved with the current release of libguile (1.4) with the core
> > functionality only (Win32 port) ?
>
> I think so, yes.

I'll test it and make a release of libguile-1.4 then if it works with the
test program.

> > 2. Implement the instantiating procedures in C.
> >    (this requires more changes. 'bind_server' becomes 'add_server'.
> >
> > That is quite some work. But i think mgrabme made a start. As noted above
> > i would really like mgrabmue to write a little test program...
>
> I think most of the work is buried in Serveez internals, not in the
> configuration layer.  Or am I mistaken?

Seems like...

> > 4. If supporting older versions of Guile, we'll need to wrap the
> >    main() function, because Guile expects that.  (I've been using a
> >    current CVS Guile)
> >
> > What do you mean by older version ?
>
> Well, older than current CVS, I am afraid.  I think plain 1.4 does not
> have the feature I use, but I will use the older method for the test
> program, so you can judge if it is feasible for Serveez.

Ok. We'll postpone that topic and start trying to use libguile at all
(version 1.4).

Thanks you so far,
        address@hidden