Re: [dev-serveez] guile adventures

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] guile adventures
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 07:43:06 +0200

> From: stefan <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:25:38 +0200 (CEST)
>
>   My question about this is: What would be the usual/correct data type to
> pass a guile procedure an array of bytes/chars ? I am interested in both:
> How do I operate on this data type in Guile and C. Just now I handle the
> buffers as strings which is not the correct thing to do...

I think the correct data type to use would be homogeneous numeric
vectors, of which there are two implementations in the upcoming
version 1.6 (one is the classic uniform array implementation, the
second is the SRFI compliant version.)  In older versions, there are
only uniform arrays, which I personally dislike because the
implementation is weird, the documentation confusing and the interface
strange.  The pro for the old implementation is that it is tightly
integrated with Guile's runtime system, whereas the SRFI version is an
add-on module, which makes interfacing from C code more difficult
(unless you link against guile-srf-srfi-4.la in addition to libguile.)

You should probably check out some recentish documentation (for
example at www.glug.org, srfi.schemers.org for SRFI-4) and then ask
more questions 8-)

Regards,
  'martin