Re: [dev-serveez] http cache (LRU detection)

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] http cache (LRU detection)
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 19:26:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, stefan wrote:

hi!

> the CVS contains a modified version of the LRU detection in the http
> file cache hopefully solving the performance problem with smaller files.
> You remember the test ? On more http cache entries the response
> significantally slowed down. The new algorithm (double chained list)
> should solve this problem.
>
> Could you please test this ? You should ./configure --disable-debug in
> order to test it. Reports would be nice. Does a small file test use the
> full bandwidth of a 100 MBit line now ?

i did a quick test on my main machine (no net, all loopback):
http_load -p 10 -s 30 ../uri-k.txt (10 parallel fetches of 1000 1k files
for 30 seconds).

the very best is still without the cache (cache-entries . 0): about 2.5 to
3.2 MB/s on the loopback net, http_load say ~ 800 to 900 kb/s.

at 2000 or 10000 cache entries: ~ 120kb/s says http_load. what is
interesting: my xosview tells me that the throughut starts at about 1.5
MB/s and (linearly) goes down to 350kb/s

this is strange somehow. i dont see a linear component in http-cache.c
(the http_cache_urgency function has O(n) but does not get called from
 within http-cache.c).

i dont know what's happening... i first thought that the growing number of
coserver callbacks may be responsible... but those are there in both cases
(cache and no cache).

... damit, what's the VFS doing ?!

Bye,
    Raimi