Re: [dev-serveez] configure-time -> run-time ?

From: Raimi 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] configure-time -> run-time ?
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:00:27 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

hi!

 ... and thanks for you interest in serveez ...

> was wondering if there are plans to make some of the configure-time
> servers available dynamically (at run-time)?  i would like to build them
> all but only load the one(s) i want...  i couldn't find anything in the
> docs or the TODO.
>
> yeah, i know this brings up shared object libraries, which is a big
> hassle (as i'm learning on the guile side of things), so i would
> understand a KISS-style reply...

there is such a thing as dynamically loaded server implementations. The
serveezopt (http://sourceforge.net/projects/serveez/) package contains an
example implementation. the example serveez.cfg (in data/ of serveez
distribution) shows how to use such a dynamically linked server (q3key).

it should be easy to extract server implementations from the serveez
package and build them as described in the serveezopt package (making it
possible to load them dynamically).

however, i think we're too lazy (so much for the KISS part) to provide
shared libraries for the serveez built-in servers. there is not really a
point, i think. an everything-compiled-in (except for guile) binary
serveez is 300kb (stripped).

is this what you wanted to hear?

Stefan: did i miss something?

Bye,