Re: [dev-serveez] configure-time -> run-time ?

From: stefan
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] configure-time -> run-time ?
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 17:36:02 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Raimi 'Raimi' Jacob wrote:

> there is such a thing as dynamically loaded server implementations. The
> serveezopt (http://sourceforge.net/projects/serveez/) package contains an
> example implementation. the example serveez.cfg (in data/ of serveez
> distribution) shows how to use such a dynamically linked server (q3key).
>
> it should be easy to extract server implementations from the serveez
> package and build them as described in the serveezopt package (making it
> possible to load them dynamically).
>
> however, i think we're too lazy (so much for the KISS part) to provide
> shared libraries for the serveez built-in servers. there is not really a
> point, i think. an everything-compiled-in (except for guile) binary
> serveez is 300kb (stripped).
>
> is this what you wanted to hear?
>
> Stefan: did i miss something?

TTN: Have a look at
<http://www.gnu.org/software/serveez/manual/serveez_4.html#SEC27>.

Basically we support server modules.  But we do not provide any in the
base package.  Each server is seperated in its own directory.  That is why
it would be possible to extract a builtin server to make it a loadable
server module.  You would need to:

 * write a new Makefile.am (could be generated from the existing)
 * declare some $(SERVER)_API macros (__declspec() issue) for a single
   symbol (the servertype structure)

Cheers,
        address@hidden