[dev-serveez] attempt to build on sparc-redhat

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: [dev-serveez] attempt to build on sparc-redhat
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 00:03:09 +0100 (CET)

hi!

ela and i are trying to compile serveez on my old sparc station 1+. it has
40MB of ram, 25 Mhz Sparc 32 Bit (sun4c). it is running redhat 6.1
(cartman).

unfortunately we cannot even make it configure (?!) on that machine. the
temporary sed script 'conftest.s1' which is created (towards the end of
configure) when the subsitutions in the *.in files are to be made is
invalid (!). sed complains about 3 different errors. the first is a
disappearing '/', the very first character in conftest.s1. we dont have
nerves to see where the others come from.

the problem is: we dont know what to do. /bin/sh is an old bash (1
something), but running configure with bash2 (2.03.6(1)) doesnt help
either. sed is 2.03 which is what my pc is running, too (suse 7).

we dont know if another program is involved and which goblin is eating
chararcters... the only special thing is: /home/ is mounted via nfs from
my pc. but that shouldnt make a difference, should it...

perhaps i let my pc configure it (taking everything from config.cache) and
let it compile from there... will take ages.

Bye,
    Raimi

--