Re: [dev-serveez] attempt to build on sparc-redhat

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] attempt to build on sparc-redhat
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 22:11:03 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001, stefan wrote:

hi!

> > unfortunately we cannot even make it configure (?!) on that machine. the
> > temporary sed script 'conftest.s1' which is created (towards the end of
> > configure) when the subsitutions in the *.in files are to be made is
> > invalid (!). sed complains about 3 different errors. the first is a
> > disappearing '/', the very first character in conftest.s1. we dont have
> > nerves to see where the others come from.
> >
> > the problem is: we dont know what to do. /bin/sh is an old bash (1
> > something), but running configure with bash2 (2.03.6(1)) doesnt help
> > either. sed is 2.03 which is what my pc is running, too (suse 7).
> Hm. You're the shell-master, aren't you?

okay, we did some testing and the results are really astonishing:

conftest.s1 is created from conftest.subs (inside configure). *.s* are
chunks of .subs (90 lines) for broken/old sed(1)s. the offending command
line boils down to "sed 90q conftest.subs > conftest.s1" which is to
"head -90 conftest.subs > conftest.s1" (:-P).  when doing this, some
leading characters of conftest.subs disappear! this is an NFS bug since it
works on the local file system (make is still runnning). sniffing the net
we see that my NFS server transfers the file correctly to the client but
the bytes disappear in the client. strace(1)ing "sed" (broken) and
"cat" (works) on the same file we see: sed mmap()s the file, cat read()s
it. so mmap()ing over nfs is broken on my old redhat 6.1 sparc. mounting
the nfs "sync" or not-"sync" just changes the amount of bytes that get
lost... funny, isnt it...

Bye,
    Raimi

P.S.: i'll post the result of the local-fs build later this night (or
week, we'll see)

--