Re: [dev-serveez] dropping "native win32" (msvc) support

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] dropping "native win32" (msvc) support
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:21:37 -0800 (PST)

> From:Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden>

> What do people think of dropping "native win32" (msvc) support?
> Personally, i can't test (although i do detest :-D) it -- haven't
> touched a usloth OS for 18 years.
>
> IIUC, cygwin and mingw are by now mature enough to provide reasonable
> (less work) portability targets.  This impression is from a quick scan
> of the cygwin API:
>
>   http://cygwin.com/cygwin-api/compatibility.html#std-susv4
>
> but i don't know for sure (as above, i don't have any way of testing
> either of these platforms).

I would say that is a fair assessment.  I've compiled many projects
to the Cygwin target, and it usually is fairly painless (except for
that tex vs etex problem that crops up from time to time.)

I think Serveez is supposed to be both a server and an example of how
to write a server.  But its methodology isn't what you'd use to
write a new target on MS Windows these days.  MS does have a standard
C library but, they have their own .NET & WCF way of doing these things
which seems to be the intended future for that platform.

FWIW, I have the tools one would need to try to compile on MS Win 7,
but, I wouldn't even try unless there was some expressed interest.

Thanks,

Mike Gran