Re: [dev-serveez] dropping "native win32" (msvc) support

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] dropping "native win32" (msvc) support
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 23:42:41 +0100

() Mike Gran <address@hidden>
() Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:21:37 -0800 (PST)

   I would say that is a fair assessment.  I've compiled many projects
   to the Cygwin target, and it usually is fairly painless (except for
   that tex vs etex problem that crops up from time to time.)

Do you have any experience w/ MinGW?

   I think Serveez is supposed to be both a server and an example of how
   to write a server.  But its methodology isn't what you'd use to
   write a new target on MS Windows these days.  MS does have a standard
   C library but, they have their own .NET & WCF way of doing these things
   which seems to be the intended future for that platform.

I think out of deference to the work done by the original Serveez hackers i
will try to maintain the MSVC support for one release, although it's possible
i've already done enough damage from these "basic sanity assumed", "phase
shifting" and segregation changes:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/serveez.git/commit/?h=next&id=335accd49e
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/serveez.git/commit/?h=next&id=5c3d91e229
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/serveez.git/commit/?h=next&id=1c23e32eb6
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/serveez.git/commit/?h=next&id=bdd9ef430b
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/serveez.git/commit/?h=next&id=7bd0e5625f

to render unusable the actual product.  (Certainly, the *.serveez files
created on "make dist" if done by me would be incorrect, for they would
reflect my system, which is not woe32.)  Oh well.

   FWIW, I have the tools one would need to try to compile on MS Win 7,
   but, I wouldn't even try unless there was some expressed interest.

Not from me, although any bugs you uncover (on any platform) i will do my
best to address.