Re: [dev-serveez] extra release step

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] extra release step
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 09:59:31 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Thien-Thi Nguyen address@hidden

> Here are the two courses:
>
> - Nobody cares any more about mingwin.
>   => Great!  I'll gladly fully decruft and carry on "normally".
>     By "fully", i mean remove ALL infrastructure and code.
>     By "gladly", i mean with unicorns dancing and bird singing...
>
> - Someone can muster a cygwin build to provide the template files.
>   => OK, i suggest the procedure:
>       - ttn does "normal" (but invalid for mingwin) "make
> dist"
>         under GNU/Linux
>       - someone else unpacks this provisional tarball,
>         builds/tests on cygwin then does "make dist" again
>       - we publish THAT tarball as the official one
>     If this procedure is not palatable, what others would do?
>     Another idea is try this for 0.2.x, and then drop mingwin
>     completely for 0.3.x.
>
> What do people think?

I don't remember the whole dependency list of the top of my head,
but, I think that Guile is not very portable.  I know that there
is no official working Guile 2.0.x on mingw or cygwin, although
there have been unofficial Guile releases for mingw and cygwin
by other parties.

But in any case, there is no reason why the Guile support on
Serveez need compile on mingw and cygwin for those versions of
Guile that don't have official cygwin and mingw ports.

-Mike Gran