Re: [dev-serveez] extra release step

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] extra release step
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 12:44:52 +0200

On 05/27/2011 05:45 PM, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

Hey guys!

Here are the two courses:

- Nobody cares any more about mingwin.
   =>  Great!  I'll gladly fully decruft and carry on "normally".
      By "fully", i mean remove ALL infrastructure and code.
      By "gladly", i mean with unicorns dancing and bird singing...

- Someone can muster a cygwin build to provide the template files.
   =>  OK, i suggest the procedure:
        - ttn does "normal" (but invalid for mingwin) "make dist"
          under GNU/Linux
        - someone else unpacks this provisional tarball,
          builds/tests on cygwin then does "make dist" again
        - we publish THAT tarball as the official one
      If this procedure is not palatable, what others would do?
      Another idea is try this for 0.2.x, and then drop mingwin
      completely for 0.3.x.

What do people think?

While I would pretty much like serveez to be run under windoze - this seems to be the point where we get rid if that port. For the following reasons:

- win32 is actually 2-3 platforms: cygwin, mingw, native (Visual Studio)

a proper port would be mingw or native, while cygwin would probably be an easier port. but cygwin is a PITA performance-wise and only a big work-around in many aspects. A serveez port would be of limited use.

- there is currently no one with a build system (for any windoze port). neither Stefan nor me (nor probably Martin) even have a windoze system.

- there is no one asking for the windoze port.

- guile is not officially supported, as Mike pointed out.

- the entire source becomes easier to read/maintain without the cruft.

There is only one argument for keeping the windoze port: The educational aspects of having portable network programming. hm.

I say: Drop it and let the unicorns dance with the singing birds.

        Raimund