dfey-general-discuss

Re: [Dfey-general-discuss] IRC Vote

From: Vinothan Shankar
Subject: Re: [Dfey-general-discuss] IRC Vote
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 19:44:00 +0000

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 16:31 +0000, Robert Leverington wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On 2010-01-31, Robert Leverington wrote:
> > Please reply to this e-mail with the letter of your vote, selecting one
> > option only of:
> >  A) Do nothing
> >  B) Register as a group with freenode
> >  C) Move to another IRC network
>
> I count six votes in favour of option C, and three in favour of option
> B.
>
> At this point I feel it would be best to spend a week discussing which
> network we shall move to, although it seems a lot of people like OFTC
> for this.
<snip>
> Pros:
>  - Completely under our control.
>  - Fun.
> Cons:
>  - Less resilient to server failiures as it is unlikely we could have >1
>    server for now.
>  - Requires people to administer it.
>  - Another network for people to join.
Just a note - there was a short discussion on IRC about possibly using
an XMPP MUC instead of an IRC room.  This could be run on any XMPP
server and would be reachable from any Jabber account - this includes
things like Google Talk, Livejournal, Jabber, an account on your own
XMPP server... You get the idea.

Vin