dfey-general-discuss

Re: [Dfey-general-discuss] Group structure

From: Robert Leverington
Subject: Re: [Dfey-general-discuss] Group structure
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 20:19:13 +0100

Hi Joe,

On 2010-04-23, Joe O'Dell wrote:
> It is a very sensible idea, and one that could propel DFEY even further
> forward.
>
> However - DFEY has stagnated lately, and I, personally, feel that we need to
> get stuck into some projects majorly before we become a not-for-profit group,
> as otherwise it will stay exactly where it is at this current moment in time.
>
> There are many events that DFEY could participate/present at - I am currently
> thinking whether having a stall at Becta[1] to promote free and Open Source
> alternatives to schools and educational institutions.
> Of course, this is something that the funding could benefit greatly, but I am
> especially worried about DFEY becoming dead-in-the-water, which I know none
> of us want.

Setting up a non-profit via the One Click Orgs system is extremely easy,
and is being proposed to solve a problem - we cannot accept funding
without a bank account, and we cannot get a bank account without a legal
structure.

Lately at least DFEY South East has been getting a few more members and
has almost reached critical mass, at the moment the majority of members
are busy with exams and coursework - but I anticipate there will be a
lot more going on over the summer.

DFEY has existed for nearly three years, and we at least have a fairly
active online community.  Personally I intend to spend some time working
on stuff for DFEY over the holidays once my exams are finished.

A basic legal structure is also something that is not difficult to stop
if the group does stagnate completely.

Regards,
Robert