dfey-nw-discuss

[Dfey-nw-discuss] [Fwd: Free Culture Society sent you a message on Faceb

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Dfey-nw-discuss] [Fwd: Free Culture Society sent you a message on Facebook...]
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:15:40 +0000

Hey Everyone,

I wondered what people thought about this:

Manchester Free Culture Society is a student run society which at the moment appears to be soley based on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=190893819841

I've just recieved this email and wondered what people's thoughts were...

I'm really happy about the first two points but when libertarianism reaches the issue of drugs I personally get very uncomfortable. Personally I find the issue too far away from technology and a bit irrelevant to free culture.

In addition I feel the issue is a bit too controversial to make it easy to push other less radical points. It doesn't look good on us if as a young people orientated, technology related group if we were associated with a Hippie/Drug reform pressure group. It gives the reasons behind "Students For Sensible Drug Policy" but I think DFEY, in particulars, strengths, lie in being solely about *Digital Freedom*.

Not so long again, the treasurer of the UK Pirate Party wrote an article on his PPUK blog explaining how he supported calls to increase censorship. The PPUK member base, unsurprisingly pissed off by a non-political officer voicing political points of view, not only irrelevant to the groups aims but also fairly damaging to the public perception of the party, almost tore the newly formed group in two. Obviously, pissing people off like that isn't a good idea! At PPUK it was subsequently agreed that they would stick to their central single issue (copyright reform) though everyone was of course enttled to their own (personal) points of view and an apology was given.

Anyway, so whilst I'm extremely excited about the first two points, I'm increasingly concerned that Free Culture Society Manchester is getting increasingly convoluted and it is fairly unclear what it's aims are.

I don't know what other people think..

Tim