dfey-nw-discuss

[Dfey-nw-discuss] Spare parts & volunteers for BUILD YOUR OWN COMPUTER w

From: Samantha Bail
Subject: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Spare parts & volunteers for BUILD YOUR OWN COMPUTER workshop needed!
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 23:13:54 +0000

Hi everyone,

we're planning a "Build your own computer" (that is, build a computer
and donate it to Madlab) workshop for the next Girl Geek Afternoon Tea
on 28 March (we'll be downstairs this time.)

If anyone has spare computer parts (motherboards, processors, RAM,
graphics & sound, HDs, CD/DVD drives, power adapter, case, cables...
etc) or simply an old desktop that still works, as well as MONITORS,
we'd be happy to accept it as a donation!! Everything is welcome, no
matter how old or slow (as long as it still works...), contact me and
I'll arrange something, or drop it off at Madlab in Manchester's
Northern Quarter. You get rid of your scrap, we have fun building some
new machines, and Madlab gets some computers - clearly a win/win/win
situation!

We also need some volunteers to help with putting the parts together -
the workshop will be more of a "taster" for people who are used to
having a laptop and would like to see what a PC looks like from the
inside, rather than an expert session. If you're up for that, please
let me know - all help is appreciated. Won't take much time or effort,
and you get an afternoon of fun, tea & biscuits! :)

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Thanks

Sam
(ba...@cs.man.ac.uk)