dino-list

Re: [Dino-list] Issues with CVS Dino

From: Lars Luthman
Subject: Re: [Dino-list] Issues with CVS Dino
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:17:56 +0100

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 23:30 -0700, Alex Schultz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to use Dino (latest CVS) on my system, it builds
> cleanly, however I cannot get it to run.
> I'm using:
> Gentoo Linux
> gcc 4.1.0
> liblash 0.5.1
> libglademm 2.6.2
> libxml++ 2.12.0
> libjack 0.102.30 (SVN rev 1009)
>
> All of those except libjack and Dino itself are installed via portage.
> I'm installing Dino in a prefix of /home/al/dino/prefix and libjack in a
> prefix of /home/al/dino/jack
>
> In order to get Dino to compile, I had to do a:
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/al/dino/jack/lib/pkgconfig
> in order to have it find my custom jack install instead of using the
> system install, and it compiled fine.
> Then in order to get it to start to run, I needed it to do an:
> export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/al/dino/prefix/lib:/home/al/dino/prefix/lib/dino"
> so it could find it's shared objects, however it still didn't work.

The second path to /home/al/dino/prefix/lib/dino should not be needed,
the plugin directory path will be embedded into the program at compile
time and it will always look there.

> I set LASH_START_SERVER=1 and tried starting, and got the following
> error repeated over and over:
> [src/gui/dinogui.cpp:664] Initialising LASH client
> lash_open_socket: could not look up host 'localhost': Servname not
> supported for ai_socktype
> lash_comm_connect_to_server: could not create server connection
> lash_init: trying to start new LASH server

I have been getting this too with the Debian packaged version of LASH
0.5.1. It usually works if I try a second time right after - I suspect
that the lashd server is taking a very long time to start (probably for
similar reasons that it takes a very long time to start liblo servers,
something is weird with a network library call). Does it work if you
start lashd before running dino?

> Which seems weird... however what's also concerning, is despite my
> setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH, it's trying to use my system install of libjack
> (0.102.20) at runtime instead of the prefixed one:
> [src/libdinoseq/sequencer.cpp:221] Initialising JACK client
> jackd 0.102.20

Are you sure you don't need to set your $PATH as well to get libjack to
find the correct jackd? PKG_CONFIG_PATH only helps when discovering the
right version at build time, it will not remember in which directory it
found it. Having multiple versions of JACK installed is usually very
tricky.

--ll