dino-list

Re: [Dino-list] Failed to compile Dino 0.2.2

From: Lars Luthman
Subject: Re: [Dino-list] Failed to compile Dino 0.2.2
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 14:16:45 +0200

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 23:12 +0000, Jean-Baptiste Mestelan wrote:
> On 7/4/07, Lars Luthman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Dino 0.2.2 is written for the latest JACK release, which is 0.103.0. The
> > JACK API has changed in the recent SVN versions so Dino 0.2.2 will not
> > work with that. If there is a new JACK release before Dino 0.4 is done I
> > will release a 0.2.3 version adapted to the new JACK release. Until then
> > the attached patch might work (I have not tested it, I am using JACK
> > 0.103.0).
> >

> > --ll
>
> Got it. So I have installed 0.2.2 against JACK 0.103.0.
>
> Incidentally, I have just found out how to write MIDI notes into the
> pattern view, using Ctrl key ! Dooh ! I had missed the  information if
> it is somewhere mentioned  ...

I think it's in the README. But yes, better and more accessible
documentation, preferrably from inside the program itself, wouldn't
hurt.

> This sequencer would come in very handy for programming a bassline, or
> a simple riff ; I like how it is practically laid out.
> If I could maybe suggest a feature : I would find it useful to
> vertically zoom onto a pattern ; so, if the riff scales only on a
> couple of octaves, we get to see bigger notes ?

This is a good idea. The pattern display in general could use some
clevering up. I can't promise that it'll be in next release (I want
recording and looping and track/pattern controllers and some other
things to work well under the hood before I start playing with GUI
refinements), but it's definitely on the roadmap.

Also, in 0.4 there will be a plugin system for the GUI so anyone can
write their own pattern editor to replace the official one, and
distribute it separately. Things like tracker-style editors or staff
editors should be fairly easy to do (well, staff editors are probably
not easy to write, but the interface to the rest of Dino shouldn't cause
much problems).

--ll