directory-discuss

[directory-discuss] To the Directory sysadmins and volunteers

From: Svetlana A. Tkachenko
Subject: [directory-discuss] To the Directory sysadmins and volunteers
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 21:30:15 +1000

Hi all.

Today I read a new software supporter issue which mentions the Directory
meetings. It's full of excitement for the project. I fully appreciate and share
this feeling (which is why of all things on the planet, I still am on this list
-- I'm only on two mailing lists after a few months of work on unsubscribing
from most, and this list is one of them).

Nevertheless like it was one, two, three, and six months ago, I have the same
issues about the FSF Directory software. I feel that things would be useful to
do.

1) Show a countdown on the main page of the Directory, so that I know when the
meetings _are_. Step-by-step instructions which may or may not be feasible
(this was unnoticed and wasn't discussed):
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/directory-discuss/2015-04/msg00022.html
2) Show a useful search and browse interface, via e.g.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Drilldown which would appear
at http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Special:BrowseData . Example screenshot at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:Semantic-drilldown-page.gif .
3) Profile the wiki locally as suggested at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/directory-discuss/2015-06/msg00001.html
because the Directory is so slow to load at times.

I have had a number of unsuccessful attempts to deal with MediaWiki on my local
computer -- it behaves contrary to my expectations, it's a poorly designed
piece of software, it's a pain to administrate for me or to work with (or I
don't have the proper mindset); I am not touching it again and I ask you to
volunteer for these tasks for the Directory users' sake.

--
Svetlana A. Tkachenko
Member of the Free Software Foundation