directory-discuss

Re: [directory-discuss] To the Directory sysadmins and volunteers

From: Joshua Gay
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] To the Directory sysadmins and volunteers
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 15:04:00 -0400

Hi Svetlana,

Thanks for your support and contributions to the FSD.

> 1) Show a countdown on the main page of the Directory, so that I know when
> the meetings _are_. Step-by-step instructions which may or may not be
> feasible (this was unnoticed and wasn't discussed):
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/directory-discuss/2015-04/msg00022.html

This was noticed. It is something that we may do when we upgrade the FSD.

In the meantime I have added a list of times around the world. If you
pick a major city that you know is in your time zone it should likely
appear on this list. See:
<http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Meetings>

> 2) Show a useful search and browse interface, via e.g.
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Drilldown which would
> appear at http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Special:BrowseData . Example
> screenshot at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:Semantic-drilldown-page.gif
> .

I have re-enabled semantic drilldown. I believe in the past it was
misbehaving. So please keep an eye out for funky errors. There is really
only a single category that matters, which is Entry. All other
categories used in this wiki are related to organizing our work around
the Directory (and some of those are outdated). You can view the single
category tha tmatters here:
<http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Special:BrowseData/Entry?_single>. By the
weekend all entries should be appear there, although again, I don't
think it will actually be a very useful interface for browsing.

> 3) Profile the wiki locally as suggested at
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/directory-discuss/2015-06/msg00001.html
> because the Directory is so slow to load at times.

We do have plans to try to speed this up. One important on is to upgrade
MW and extensions. Work has finally begun on this. There are a lot of
speed improvements on various SMW extensions in newer versions. I don't
think anyone should bother trying to profile the system at this time,
since the upgrade will have so many changes.

Hope to see you all tomorrow!

Josh

--
Joshua Gay