directory-discuss

Re: [directory-discuss] Game plan for 'bait and surrender' and 'freedom

From: Svetlana Tkachenko
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Game plan for 'bait and surrender' and 'freedom betrayed' packages in the directory
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:10:57 +1100

Donald Robertson <address@hidden> wrote:

> At the meeting Friday we discussed a few different situations that we
> want to do something about on the directory. For each issue we have a
> proposed solution and some possible text. We would love to get your
> feedback on the solution, as well as help with the text.

Instead, I would suggest to host a mirror where the proprietary version
is not linked in any way or form.

After all, free distributions ship with GNU IceCat, which exposes users
to the FSF Directory in its add-on manager; failure to remove links to
external proprietary resources from FSF Directory would render our free
distributions non-free.

The relevant quote:
"A free system distribution must not steer users towards obtaining any
nonfree information for practical use, or encourage them to do so. The
system should have no repositories for nonfree software and no specific
recipes for installation of particular nonfree programs. Nor should the
distribution refer to third-party repositories that are not committed to
only including free software; even if they only have free software
today, that may not be true tomorrow. Programs in the system should not
suggest installing nonfree plugins, documentation, and so on."
https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

Svetlana