directory-discuss

Re: [directory-discuss] Game plan for 'bait and surrender' and 'freedom

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Game plan for 'bait and surrender' and 'freedom betrayed' packages in the directory
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 22:31:51 +0100

The term that are already in use to describe this scenario is called "open core". We don't use the term "open", at least not in a positive meaning, but situation is different. Here we actually have the chance to put "open" in negative light.

MySQL is an example: Oracle's MySQL database software is dual-licensed under a proprietary license, and the GNU GPL; proprietary versions offer additional features and enterprise support plans. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_core#Examples

Do you think we should use the term "open core" to describe partially proprietary software?