directory-discuss

Re: [directory-discuss] Free Software Directory Database

From: Laura Morales
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Free Software Directory Database
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 08:08:46 +0200

> You can pull down the data with (wget
> http://static.fsf.org/nosvn/directory/directory.xml). I'm told it has
> the rdf info included in it. Just a word of warning that it is
> (unsurprisingly) quite large and opening in a browser would likely crash
> it. It is updated nightly.

Thank you *very much*! The data seems to be there, so this looks great :)
Did you just create this file, or was it there all the time? I've never seen
this before, and it's not even indexed from http://static.fsf.org.

Regarding the size, you can save a lot of space/bandwidth by compressing this
xml. My results:

317M    directory.xml
16M     directory.xml.bz2
21M     directory.xml.gz