[Discuss-gnuradio] The ultimate SDR

From: Ettus, Matt
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] The ultimate SDR
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:24:30 -0700

I've been thinking about SDR for a while now, both as a HAM, and an EE in
the communications profession.  What I would like to build is the hardware
for a generic SDR:

at least 1 (up to 20) Msamples/sec, 4 to 16 bits per sample (obviously fewer
bits per with higher rates)
Tuning in 2 ranges, either from 0 to 1 GHz, or 800 to 2500 MHz
Transmit and Receive full duplex, on different frequencies
Connected to PC by a dedicated 100Mbit ethernet line, with raw Ethernet
packets (i.e. no TCP, UDP, IP, etc.)

I have a basic design for the RF, analog, and DSP downconversion.  Its not
that hard with Analog Devices products...

The hard part is the Ethernet interface.  Does anyone have suggestions for
the ethernet interface?  I haven't worked with any Ethernet MACs, nor have I
embedded one on an FPGA.  I'd rather avoid having an OS on the device, but a
[fast] microcontroller might do the job.

The other option is Firewire, but support under linux seems sketchy, and I
have no experience with it.

Any ideas? Anyone interested in helping out?

Matt
N2MJI