Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio on cygwin

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio on cygwin
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 21:34:04 -0700

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 09:44:08PM +0200, Thibaut Weise wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone have experience installing gnuradio on cygwin?
> I got most to work and all but one test run successful.
> The problem is that the allocation of shared memory does not succeed.
> For shared memory I installed cygipc as it is not supported by cygwin
> directly.
>
> Otherwise, is it possible to compile gnuradio without using shared memory,
> as it is only VrBuffer which uses it? Is there some way around this?

At this time, only VrBuffer uses shared memory, but VrBuffer is
essential.  There's probably some way around this.  A windows hacker
once told me that there is an equivalent set of calls in windows that
will accomplish what we're trying to do: map a single piece of
physical memory of length N into two consecutive virtual spaces each
of length N.  This gives us a circular buffer.

Under Unix/Linux we allocate a piece of shared memory of length N, and
then contrive to get it mapped into our address space twice, once at
address P and once at P + N.

> Thibaut

Eric