Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] A/D Converter

From: Alan Gray
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] A/D Converter
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:25:31 +1100

Eric,

Just a word of warning when looking at A to D cards, you'll want to look not only at the hardware specs, but also at the software interface to it. I've been attempting to use an Adlink PCI-9812 card (http://www.adlinktech.com/PD/web/PD_detail.php?pid=33&seq=2&id=3&sid=22#) which has very similar specs to the MC4020 card. While I haven't given up yet, it has been very difficult to integrate this card into a working application because of the way the drivers are put together (they won't run in a multi-processor environment) and because of the inefficient manner in which data is transferred through the high level interface provided with the card. There is also a distinct lack of good low-level programming support, so the task of coding a custom driver is looking rather daunting at this point.

I don't know what your background is, but you may want to take these things into consideration before you make a purchase.

Alan