Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 2.1 v/s 0.9

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 2.1 v/s 0.9
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:07:05 -0700

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 06:44:46PM +0000, Prateek Dayal wrote:
> hi,
>
> i had initially installed a 0.9 version as 2.1 was not compiling and I
> ran the example programs .. like mono_audio_out.cc and they were
> working fine. I am not able to compile these programs in 2.1 even if I
> add them to test folder and make changes in the make file ... also

> looks like 2.1 uses the graphs as ultimate frontend to the libraries

Yes.

> Is there like no need to do any C coding in 2.1 ..

The underlying signal processing blocks are coded in C++.  We've got a
pretty good assortment right now, but there are still some missing.
As we flush out the library, more and more can be done all in python.

> If you can provide some links on how to get python into GNU Radio that
> would be great ....

Actually, we don't get python into GNU Radio, we get GNU Radio into
python.  To elaborate, we use a standard version of python 2.3, and
then load the modules that make up GNU Radio into the running copy of
python.

If you look at any of the examples in gnuradio-examples you'll see how
it's down.  Python is the interpreter for the scripts, and then we
import the relevant GNU Radio modules.

Hope this helps!

Eric