Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gcc 3.3

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gcc 3.3
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:22:48 -0800

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 06:05:35PM -0600, David Carr wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a current CVS of gnuradio-core built using:
> gcc version 3.3.4 20040623 (Gentoo Linux 3.3.4-r1, ssp-3.3.2-2, pie-8.7.6)
> glibc-2.3.4.20040808
>
> Currently, make check looks fine.  What kind of bugs were you
> encountering?  Can I help chase down anything and should I change
> compiler versions?
>
> Thanks,
> David Carr

Thanks for the offer.  I wouldn't change anything if it's working.

One of my machines is running Mandrake 10.0 Official with is using
g++ (GCC) 3.3.2 (Mandrake Linux 10.0 3.3.2-6mdk) and it works fine.

I'm aware of three different symptoms:

  (1) test_vmcircbuf and test_all were failing with a SIGBUS testing
      the shm_open implementation.  gnuradio-core-2.3 installs signal
      handlers that detect this problem and record that shm_open
      doesn't work.  This problem is fixed modulo other compiler
      related problems.

  (2) Some versions of g++ 3.3.X, mostly on Debian, appear to have a
      problem.  The symptom is that the fix for (1) doesn't work and
      the SIGBUS still happens.

  (3) Stephane's SIGBUS/SIGSEGV somewhere in the std::string stuff
      called from test_all.

My guess is that there is some version g++ 3.3.X that has a
problem.  I'm not sure which values of X have the problem.  Or for
that matter, which distribution patches were applied to g++, etc, etc.

Can those who are seeing either (2) or (3) please get us your compiler
versions?  Ramakrishnan, I know you were seeing (2) but that it went
away when you changed compilers.  Do you know the version of g++ you
were using when it wasn't working?

If we can figure out the guilty party, I'll add the configure checks
to check for the bad tool chain.

Eric