[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: notebook computers

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: notebook computers
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:25:51 -0800

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 05:17:52PM -0500, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Eric - easy question: what notebook(s) are you guys using for GNURadio?
>
> I'm putting the finishing touches on my AM BC wideband front end, for
> recording the
> entire band to disk, and will need to take it out away from urban/apartment
> noise for best
> results. Plus my old reliable Dell (233Mhz) is really showing it's age ;)
>
> --Chuck

I'm using about an 18 month old IBM X31.  It's a 1.4GHz Pentium M.
I'm quite happy with it.  It's very small and light.

Matt's using a newer IBM X40-something.  It's got a larger and higher
res display.  It does 1400 x something.  His is a bit faster than
mine, but is also bigger and heavier.

They've both got fine keyboards and run Linux out of the box.
I'm using Mandrake 10.1 Official.  Matt's running Fedora Core 2.
I've got a Cisco/AIRONET MPI-450 mini-pci 802.11b card.  I think
Matt's got the atheros card, but I'm not sure.  I also opted for
gig-Ethernet.   Makes file transfers on my home network fly!

We both ordered directly from IBM's web site.

Eric