Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Instaling Baseline requirment problem

From: LRK
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Instaling Baseline requirment problem
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:39:33 -0500

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 12:18:10PM +0000, Robert McGwier wrote:

> Please let me pass along a warning.  A month ago,  I upgraded gcc and
> got all bold (sigh).  I attempted to upgrade pango, atk, gtk, wxgtk, and
> remake wxPython 2.6.1 in an abortive attempt to get beyond some of this
> "coloring with Crayola crayon and finger painting"  look with improperly
> initialized controls/broken controls, etc. have in wxGtk/wxPython.
> WHAT A MISTAKE.  I have been unable to go backwards and get gnuRadio to
> work since.  I have been completely dead in the water, unable to
> diagnose what was wrong other than import wx gave me "undefined symbols
> in pango" even after I went backwards.  I finally just pulled off my
> personal files and rebuilt the distribution and used the wxGtk that came
> with SUSE.   I admit I had other things going on during that month that
> interfered (the month from just north of the river Styx), but this was a
> painful reminder of the old addage" if it ain't broke, don't fix it
> unless you want to stall development.

This seems to be a generic problem with GnuRadio. I notice a lot of newbies
who show up here and ask for help but get no response. They seem to disappear
never to be heard from again.

I just built the usrp portion for the first time, not having a USRP I was
trying to learn more about the process by using the audio stuff.
I encountered several problems and posted questions to the list but got
no responses. After a bit more hacking, it appears usrp compiles Ok with
the FreeBSD port of libusb so maybe it will work.

Just to be sure things are right, I blew away the GnuRadio installed files
and re-built from CVS. Amazingly, one problem in the gnuradio-core build
seems to have disappeared but a new problem appeared in the audio-oss build.

One more bug to hunt down to get back where I was:

gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/gr/gr-build/gr-audio-oss'
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/gr/gr-build/gr-audio-oss'
Making check in config
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/gr/gr-build/gr-audio-oss/config'
gmake[1]: Nothing to be done for `check'.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/gr/gr-build/gr-audio-oss/config'
Making check in src
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/gr/gr-build/gr-audio-oss/src'
gmake  check-am
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/gr/gr-build/gr-audio-oss/src'
gmake  check-TESTS
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/usr/gr/gr-build/gr-audio-oss/src'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./qa_oss.py", line 24, in ?
    import audio_oss
  File "/usr/gr/gr-build/gr-audio-oss/src/audio_oss.py", line 5, in ?
    import _audio_oss
ImportError: /usr/gr/gr-build/gr-audio-oss/src/.libs/_audio_oss.so: Undefined
symbol "_ZN8gr_block5startEv"
FAIL: run_tests
===================
1 of 1 tests failed
gmake[3]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/gr/gr-build/gr-audio-oss/src'
gmake[2]: *** [check-am] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/gr/gr-build/gr-audio-oss/src'
gmake[1]: *** [check] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/gr/gr-build/gr-audio-oss/src'
gmake: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

--
LRK