Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP drivers/test code

From: Larry Doolittle
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP drivers/test code
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:31:38 -0700

Kalen and lurkers -

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 04:22:18PM +0200, Kalen Watermeyer wrote:
> I'm trying to re-use the USRP code (where I can) for my own SDR device
> which also uses the FX2 chip. I've managed to install the GnuRadio onto
> my Debian system and have built the USRP source code.

I do this also.  It took a while to understand what's going on.

> When I run the usrp-0.8/host/apps/test_usrp_standard_rx executable I get
> an 'usrp[0] device not found'
>
> I realise that I've probably left off a thousand steps, but am a little
> confused as to how to get things in order.
>
> Firstly, how do I ensure that the appropriate usb driver(s) are
> associated with my usb device when I connect to the system?

Here is the outline of a few steps:
  1. Assign yourself a USB product ID in the space defined by
     firmware/include/usrp_ids.h, and get the USRP developers to
     acknowledge it.
  2. Hack host/lib/usrp_prims.cc to accept your PID in addition
     to the normal USRP ones.
  3. Program the FX2 EEPROM to your product ID using usrper i2c_write.
  4. Add a usermap file and initialization script to /etc/hotplug/usb/.

> Secondly, is it feasible to modify existing FX2 firmware to my own needs
> for testing purposes? (as my FPGA/electronic setup are obviously very
> different from the USRP)

Absolutely.  You can use a slightly modified usrper and
test_usrp_standard_rx to get yourself going until you build
your own customized executable from the libraries.

I suggest we take this discussion off-list, and maybe collaborate
on a web page summarizing the process.

      - Larry